Monday, March 28, 2011

Blame it on the rain...

"Be still sad heart and cease repining;
Behind the clouds the sun is shining,
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life a little rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Isn't that the truth?  It's been 10 days since my last post and the rain hath cometh; both literally and figuratively.  The gray skies and crying clouds have not only prevented me from keeping schedule with this year's garden, but have sucked me dry of all motivation to even write about gardening.  And the digging.  Oh dear god the digging.  In the last 10 days I have dug over 159 feet of trench in the back yard.  Call it "reverse irrigation", call it a futile effort to outwit mother nature, call it my new back breaking workout, call it an "at least I can dig a freakin' hole" act of desperation...but if I were a scout, I would have earned a merit badge in mud by now.  And I tore a hole in my favorite rubber rain boots. :(
To top that off, we are now the proud owners of a sump-pump.  (Sometimes digging just isn't enough...)  The thousands of gallons of water we removed from the yard, garden and garage over the last few weeks could have filled a swimming pool.  I mean, sure, I'd love to have a swimming pool, but not this way.  I shall tell many a tale about the misadventures of this last series of rain storms, but for now those stories can wait.  Luckily, it appears that we shall have a few rain-free days in Sacramento, and that means all of my newbie gardening buddies are getting set to build their gardens.  Yay!! In honor of that, I'm going to get off my duff and post a few things related to building our garden, and maybe someone can benefit from the lessons we learned.

Now, let's go play with power tools and build some raised beds :)

No comments:

Post a Comment